Jim “Jimbo” Someck has been in the natural foods industry since 1973. In 1984, he ventured out on his own and opened his first Jimbo’s…Naturally! Store. Since then he has opened four more Jimbo’s…Naturally! Stores. The Jimbo’s stores are highly regarded in the natural foods industry and have a strong emphasis on organics and support of local products. The stores are also well respected for their contributions to the local communities in which they exist.
Jimbo Someck has been a leader and spokesperson for independent natural food stores. In 2005, he helped found the Independent Natural Food Retailers Association (INFRA) and became their first board president. He has spoken at a number of conventions including the Natural Foods Expo West and at the Consumer Cooperative Management Association’s annual meeting. Jimbo also served on the Non-GMO Project Retailers Advisory Committee and his stores have taken a leadership role in the natural foods industry in the labeling of GMOs.
Awards & Accolades
- Eliminated plastic bags at the registers 2008
- Surfrider Foundation’s Clean Water award 2009
- Whole Foods Magazine’s 2012 Retailer of the Year award
- Natural Products Association’s 2012 Socially Responsible Retailer award
- Declared Jimbo’s…Naturally! Day – May 13th, 2013 – throughout San Diego County
- LEED Gold Certification 2015, First Grocery Retailer in San Diego to Achieve
- Commitment to 100% Organic Produce 2018
- New Hope Natural Media – Best Community Project 2018 Retailer of the Year
- San Diego Grown 365 2018 award Commitment to 100% Organic Bulk 2020